An individual travel grant can be applied for once during both the undergraduate and graduate phase. For bachelor students the minimum stay is one month. Master students can also apply for a travel grant for a stay abroad of less than one month, to visit a conference for example.
The travel grant is a one-off contribution. The amount depends on the destination and the duration of the stay.
|Duration||< 3 months||> 3 months|
|Europe||€ 550||€ 650|
|Outside of Europe||€ 800||€ 1000|
Applications for an individual travel grant must be submitted no later than one month before departure. The processing time for the application is one month. Within six weeks you will be informed by email about the grant. Submit the application using the form below and include all the necessary information. The form is in English, files can be uploaded in Dutch.
Applications will not be processed unless they are accompanied by all requested information. Provide a fully completed application form with all required attachments as a PDF.
Checklist individual travel grant application
Applications must include:
- a detailed budget (download);
- a motivation letter in which you make clear the added value and goals of the study abroad program;
- a recent CV;
- a printout of your study results. For bachelor students, a minimum of 120 ECTS credits must be obtained. In case you don’t have enough credits yet, you will need to include an explanation on your list of marks in which you clarify that the 120 credits will be obtained at a later stage, but before the moment of departure. An exception can be made for 90 credits or less if a lecturer declares that the visit abroad is crucial for study progress;
- a personal, applicant-specific letter of recommendation or email from at least one lecturer involved in the program. This letter must be signed and printed on UvA paper. If an email is provided, it must be clear that it was sent from the lecturer’s email address;
- the Academic Approval Form (for students selected by the International Student Affairs Office - BIS) or a declaration from the faculty (from a lecturer, education desk or study coordinator) stating that the study abroad fits in with the UvA program being followed and will be awarded with credits. In case of an internship or congress visit, send the confirmation here;
- (if selected by the International Student Affairs Office) an exchange document (Nomination Letter);
- (if applicable) proof of admission from the university to be visited.
You are not eligible for a scholarship if:
- an internship, study or fieldwork abroad is a required part of the curriculum;
- you do not make a financial contribution yourself.
Travel grant for medical students
Faculty of Medicine students must complete the International Office AMC registration form prior to applying. The registration form must also be submitted with the scholarship application.
In addition to the regular travel grants, there are also grants for a longer stay (from 6 months on) for medical students. To be considered for these, you must request approval from the International Office AMC in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org. You must send this approval along with your scholarship application.
Requirements for the report and photos
The trip report should include the following topics:
- purpose of the trip (research/lecture attendance). In case of research: description of the research and its results. In case of lectures: which courses were taken and which (UvA acknowledged) credits were obtained?
- academic added value of the trip;
- academic contacts (fellow students, lecturers etc.);
- difference in academic culture compared to the UvA;
- did the trip meet the objective?
- possible follow-up: what will happen with the findings (thesis, publication, follow-up research etc.)?
The report should not exceed two A4 pages or 1.000 words and should include one or more digital photographs. The photos should show you as the recipient of the travel grant (no selfies). Please submit the photos as high resolution JPG files (file size larger than 1 MB). If we plan to use any of your photos for our website, online newsletter or other publications we will ask for permission. We do not provide compensation for the use of photos.
Please send the report and photos within three weeks after returning home via email to subsidieaanvragen-AUF@uva.nl, and include your name and phone number.