PhD students seeking funding for their research at the UvA should contact the fund in advance by telephone to discuss their possibilities.
Submitting an application
Applications for an individual travel grant must be submitted no later than one month before departure. The processing time for the application is one month, which means that you will be informed by email about the grant within one month.
Submit the application using the form below and include all the necessary information. The form is in English, files can be uploaded in Dutch.
The purpose of the trip is to conduct research at a university abroad or to give a presentation at a conference abroad.
The travel grant for PhD students is not meant to cover all costs. It is a one-off contribution toward the travel expenses. The amount depends on the destination and the duration. As of January 1, 2023, the following amounts apply.
|Duration of stay/destination||< 3 months||> 3 months|
|Europe||€ 550||€ 650|
|Outside of Europe||€ 800||€ 1000|
Checklist travel grant application
Applications will only be processed if they include all the requested information. Please provide a fully completed application form with all required attachments. These attachments should be submitted as a PDF.
Applications should include:
- a cover letter in which the applicant makes clear the added value and goals of the trip;
- a recent CV;
- a description of the research project;
- a personal letter of recommendation from the promoter and tailored to the applicant. This letter should be signed and printed on UvA paper. If an email is submitted it must be clear that the email was sent from the promoter’s email address;
- a detailed budget (download) in which it is made clear that (part of) the own research budget will be used;
- (if applicable) a proof of admission of the university/institution to be visited;
- (if applicable) a proof of acceptance/invitation to the congress (e.g. in case of a poster presentation).
Requirements for the report and photos
The trip report should include the following topics:
- purpose of the trip (research/presentation) and its outcome;
- academic added value of the trip;
- academic contacts (researchers, colleagues etc.);
- did the trip meet the objective?
- possible follow-up: what will happen with the results (publication, follow-up research etc.)?
The report should not exceed two A4 pages or 1,000 words. The photos show you as the recipient of the travel grant. Submit the photos as high resolution JPG files (file size larger than 1 MB). If we plan to use any of your photos for our website, online newsletter or other publications, we ask for permission. We do not provide compensation for the use of photos.
Please email the report and photos within three weeks after returning home to subsidieaanvragen-AUF@uva.nl and include your name and phone number.
For more information about this scholarship, please contact the Amsterdam University Fund.
T: +31 (0)20 525 2138